In 2006 I had a rough go of it. I lost my job due to downsizing just at the time I was informed that I would have to have surgery to remove an ovarian cyst. I had been having pains and was really tired and, after a few tests, that was the verdict. Well, I was able to get my surgery in before my insurance ran out so I paid very little out of pocket. After the surgery, my doctor told me that she was able to save my right ovary and thought that she had removed all of the cyst (dubbed "My Twin") and that there shouldn't be an issue as far as regrowth.
Cut to end of 2010. The pain was back. The exact same pain in the exact same spot. This time I'm not so lucky to have insurance. As I'm a student, I'm relying heavily on my parents for financial support at the moment. This doesn't however extend to healthcare. Say what you like about the healthcare reform but try going without it when you're in desperate pain. My father, a mostly intolerable man, gave me only the option of going to the emergency room. I have ethical issues with this as I don't believe this is what the emergency room is for. I've managed to get an appointment with the doctor who treated me back then, and I'll pay out of pocket. Hey, what's my school loan for, eh? Anyway, the appointment has been made for Monday afternoon and as the day has progressed, so has my panic about it. If my cyst has grown back and surgery is needed at least I know what I'm up against but that's exactly the problem. I remember the pain. They tried several pain killers but I was sensitive to all of them so I pretty much had to grin and bear it pain killer free. When you've got a six inch incision across your lower abdomen, pretty much every movement is excruciating.
I've made the decision already though, that if it comes to surgery, I will be asking them to remove the ovary entirely so that this doesn't happen again. Nearly 30, I show no signs of a ticking clock. I do not see children in my future and that is by choice so what do I need both ovaries for? Answer: I don't. Just take the bloody thing (no pun intended) and be done with it. I don't need my evil twin. I like being the cute one anyway. I just wish someone would invent a pain killer that I like! Ah well.
Klonopin, it's just you and me buddy until we get this sorted.
No comments:
Post a Comment